Teeth can become vulnerable to decay, damage, stains, and wear and tear due to aging and lifestyle habits. There are various tooth restoration options available to fix damaged and decayed teeth. However, dental crowns are the best option if the decay or damage is very severe and cannot be restored using a dental filling.
Crowns are tooth-shaped caps fitted over a damaged tooth when its enamel becomes defective. Crowns offer the advantage of restoring a tooth's shape or contour besides helping to protect weak teeth from more damage. Crowns also add strength to the tooth that has weakened after a root canal procedure.
What Dental Issues Does A Dental Crown Fix?
Dental crowns offer the following advantages:
- Improve the aesthetics and appearance of the smile
- Protect a weak or cracked tooth from breakage
- It helps cover a stained or misshapen tooth
- Works as an anchor to fit a dental bridge
- It helps restore a broken, fractured, or worn-down tooth
- Prevent a damaged tooth from cracking apart
- Hold a fractured tooth together
- Restore a weak tooth after a root canal procedure
- Act as the replacement tooth on the top of a dental implant
Who Can Benefit From a Dental Crown?
Patients with excessive tooth decay that can't be repaired with a filling, those who have broken fillings, fractured teeth, or have their teeth undergone root canal procedures often need a dental crown.
Candidacy for Dental Crowns
To be an ideal candidate for dental crowns, the patient should have healthy gums for the restoration to work well. When we visit Smile Dental World to get dental crowns, we will evaluate your mouth and discuss your needs.
- Conduct a thorough oral and dental exam of the patient to look for signs of tooth decay or infection
- Recommend a dental implant surgery if the patient has a missing tooth
- Check the integrity and health of the patient's jawbone
- Take x-rays to have a thorough analysis of the structure of the patient's teeth.
Based on the information drawn from our dental evaluation, we may recommend the following procedures:
- Removal of decay if decay and cavities are present
- Root canal treatment if there is severe tooth decay
- Dental implant placement in case of a missing tooth
The restoration of a tooth using a porcelain dental crown involves the following steps:
- The procedure starts with a visual exam and x-ray to assess the oral health of the patient.
- The tooth preparation is done by removing any old fillings and decay before it is shaped to fit the porcelain crown.
- Porcelain crowns are made in a dental laboratory as per the dental impression taken, matching the color shade of the existing tooth.
- While waiting to get the permanent crown ready, the dentist may give you a temporary crown.
- Once the dental crowns are ready, it is tried on and permanently fitted onto the tooth.
Do you wish to know more about dental crowns? Call dentist in Modesto, CA today at (209) 543-0555 and schedule an appointment.