Dental anxiety refers to the fear and stress patients experience during dental treatment. It is triggered by a dental setting that involves needles and drills. People who experience dental anxiety avoid a visit to the dentist during dental requirements. The efficient dentists of Smile World Dental help patients with dental anxiety by providing techniques that can calm them through the process.
Signs of Dental Anxiety
- The patient starts sweating during the dental appointments.
- Anxiety and distress are expressed through panic during the treatment.
- The patient tends to mask anxiety through anger or humor.
- Increased heartbeat during dental visits signifies dental anxiety.
- The patient experiences low blood pressure and tends to faint during the treatment.
How to Manage Dental Anxiety
The dentist performs various methods to reduce the patient's anxiety, and some are provided below.
- General Anesthesia: It is a medication provided to the patient before a dental procedure. General anesthesia puts the patient to sleep during the treatment. The patient may not have a memory of the treatment. The dentist advises the patient to avoid driving after the treatment as general anesthesia takes time to wear out.
- Conscious Sedation:It is a sedative medication that provides relaxation to the patient during dental treatment. It drifts the patient to light sleep through which they can communicate verbally to the dentist. The sedation is provided by general sedation as it is taken through a drip that connects to the vein of the arm.
- Laughing Gas: It is a mixture of oxygen and nitrous oxide, which helps to relax the patient during dental treatment. The patient inhales it through a mask that is fitted onto the nose. It s an effective method that provides a relaxed sensation to the patient. Laughing gas wears off immediately after the procedure.
- Anxiety relieving medication:It includes various tablets which are consumed an hour before the dental treatment. Only a single dose of the tablet is required for effectiveness. It helps to relax the dentist through the entire dental procedure. The dentists advise the patient to avoid driving after the treatment as the medication may take time to wear off.
Smile World Dental, located in Salida, CA, provides all the information regarding anesthesia to the patient before any dental procedure. Call (209) 732-1123 and schedule an appointment with the dentistry to know more about dental requirements.